Monday, March 19, 2012

Long time no post!

It's been quite a few days since my last post, and I have been cooking up some goodies lately now that I'm on Spring break. My mom's birthday was last week so when I came home I made a vegan Chocolate Mousse Stuffed Chocolate Cake - delish! That mousse is honestly one of the best I've ever tasted, and is going to be my go-to mousse recipe from now on. It may seem a little too liquidy at first but firms right up in the fridge. I can't wait to make these in my fancy little martini glasses.

We went out for lunch yesterday at a new, extremely empty restaurant, in which I had a black bean burger. It was very tasty, and the waitress said that it was vegan, but anytime you let someone else cook for you, you run the risk of eating some animal product. Normally I don't care about this but it all goes into how easy it is to live the vegan lifestyle, and I've found that it really isn't that easy unless you cook for yourself.

Anyway, this morning I cooked up some Scrambled Tofu, leaving out the nasty nutritional yeast. It was awesome! I can't wait to make it again with some chopped tomatoes and peppers. I liked the taste of it more than regular eggs, to be honest. The seasoning was great.

I do have a little confession to make though: Thursday was my and my boyfriend's 4 year anniversary, so I decided that for ONE meal in 40 days I could eat non-vegan. And I did. I stuffed my face with buttery, cheesy lobster mac and cheese, crab cakes, salmon, shrimp, and scallops. I was kind of wondering how my body would react to that much seafood after a few weeks of eating just plain plant products but I was fine. Okay, I had leftovers for lunch the next day, too.

As I mentioned I am now on Spring Break, which means I will have to try to survive an entire week being vegan with my family. From what I've gathered, we're only going to all eat vegan food if I cook everything. My mom is interested in trying new vegan foods but I don't think my dad or sister are too into it, although they've given me rave reviews for everything I've cooked so far. Like tonight, I made Portobello burgers, and they were SO GOOD! We put tomatoes and avocados on top. Mom and I even split a second burger. I baked some sweet potato fries, too, which made a slightly soggy but tasty addition to the meal. I'll take soggy sweet potato fries over regular ones any day! I think I'd even take a portobello burger over a regular patty, too!

Well that's about it for now. My 8 month old cat is desperately trying to sleep on the desk in front of me but keeps getting woken up by all the noises around the house. Not sure why he prefers a cold, hard surface over the comfy chair in the corner! Alas. Buenas noche!

No comments:

Post a Comment